A A A

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_Print sp_TopicIcon
Our 2016 Bay Laurel fruit and nut tree order
A quick summary of our 25 tree order
February 2, 2016
11:43 pm
Christine
Near Meadview, between Lake Mead and Grand Canyon West (Skywalk)
Admin
Forum Posts: 171
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We ordered 25 trees on 1/30/16 at Bay Laurel Nursery and I posted at the blog about initial research (chill hours):

http://highdesertpermaculture......discounts/

And then about the exhausting order:

http://highdesertpermaculture......ree-order/

Who said it would be easy?

I'll post a summary about each tree in a new topic here and then I'll update with the planting locations and how they do. 

I still have a couple of weeks before they ship and started to think about where to plant them.  I had planned on getting 12 trees for the orchard, but ended up ordering 25 because we "had to have them" and there is still space for trees. 

My initial thoughts are to group by fruit:

Three apple trees with the Fuji already in the upper garden.

3 apricots by the hoophouse since we already have two Chinese apricots (grown from seed) in the hoophouse.  Once the plastic goes bad (it's 4.5 years old), the hoophouse will be turned into a berry and fruit tree garden.  I can already picture the trees in bloom along the driveway.

The two almond trees go east of the orchard where we need shade, privacy and wind breaks.  Need a big space for the walnut tree.  I sure wish I was 20 years younger.

That leaves 4 peach, 3 cherry, 3 nectarine, 3 plums, one pluot and one persimmon for the orchard. That's 15 trees and we have 12 tree holes.

Eventually I'd like to have the entire orchard covered for critter protection and the cherry trees definitely have to be in the orchard. We could plant 2 trees into some of the about 4' x 4' x 3.5 holes.   Or we could plant a few into the native dirt in the orchard, that would make for an interesting experiment.  Sure wish we had several trees of the same variety to plant in various locations.

I also like to mix everything up.

Some trees have to be planted close together for pollination.  If we only had a few more acres and a lot more dollars ....

Forum Timezone: America/Phoenix

Most Users Ever Online: 20

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Marilyn: 10

Grassroots: 3

VeganicFoodForest: 1

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0